Friday, May 21, 2010

FIRST BIRTHDAY BASH

Well, its happened - we "officially" have a toddler.

Kylie turned ONE on May 20th.  This fact altered my reality earlier that same week... I get these emails regularly about "your baby's development" - usually with the subject, "Your Baby: Month 8, week 2"... The lastest one had a new subject line, "My Toddler this week: Your One year old". Ugh.  How fast does time FLY???  Funny, its the one thing that everyone warns you about, "enjoy these days", and "they fly by"... they weren't kidding, and you don't believe it until she's sitting in your lap with green frosting on her face... next post I'll be blogging about handing her the car keys....

But back to recent news: The party was a complete success! And I have to pat ourselves on the back, Daddy and I had minimal pre-party spaz-outs, and even hi-fived each other a few times :)  Kylie was a pro too.  She took a great 2-hour nap, and woke up in time to let her Nannie Sue from Massachusetts feed her some lunch before all the guests arrived.

For the big day we sported some very girly pink coutoure sent by her Auntie Kristen, Uncle Graham (aka Uncle Cracker), and cousins Lexi & Brycen... a pink onesie with "Birthday Girl" on the front, a sparkly pink tu-tu, and a soft pink princess-crown with a silver number "1" on the front... to our astonishment, she loved the crown, and actually kept it on her head the entire time.  Here's the BEFORE picture:

Right on time, great-aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and neighbors began to arrive - the back-yard was full in no time.  Kylie has always seemed to be a really social baby, and did great interacting with everyone.  I actually had to track her down a couple of times, not really sure where /or who had her at the moment.  Kylie's friend Hannah, (9 mos old), stopped by and shared some great pictures on her blog as well. 

Surprisingly, our girl was very dainty and very serious about the task of diving into her cake.  She tentatively poked at it a few times and examined the the icing stuck to her finger, but hesitating at the idea of putting it in her mouth.  So I took a fingerfull of frosting and held it up for her to taste - letting her know this was something that was OK for her do. Finally, it was Mommy that got impatient and took her hand and smushed it into the cake for her.  She seemed confused, but a little excited, and eventually, but ever so daintily began to go back for more tastes of that sweet new treat. Here's some of the most important pictures of the day, THE CAKE:

And here's some pictures of Kylie's biggest fans of the day:



After cake, we made a wardrobe change into another wildly girly brown dress with white polka dots and a poufy crinoline skirt.  (Another awesome purchase by Auntie K in MA :) )  I was worried at first how she would manage to crawl around with all that "pouf" but she's pretty determined and managed without any issues. Kylie got a lot of attention in this dress too, but maybe it was the brown color, (we unintentionally dress her in pink more often than I'd like ), she adopted a new nickname today, "Kevin in a dress"  Yes - I suppose she looks a little like her Daddy.  Hmmph. Here is where I direct you to a quote from a beloved sister-in-law, that has come up in conversation more than I can count over the past year - - - Yes, I did all of the work, and get none of the credit.  (My nephew after all, is the perfect "mini-me" to my brother, and barely resembles my sister-in-law at all)  I will  say though, regardless, we both made some damn-cute kids.

When the rain threatened to hit a couple of hours later, we I gave in to the pleadings of the younger guests of the party to open some gifts.  That was the only point of the party that got a little "hairy".  Maybe it was the witching hour of the day, or the excess of sugar and adrenaline that was coursing through their little bodies - but my biggest mistake was agreeing to let them help open gifts.  Thankfully, I had an entourage of experience mommies with me and they helped to corral the kiddos in - and (I think) we got all the right gifts written down with their correct gift-givers.  SO, needless to say, if you get your thank-you note, and I happen to reference something you didn't get - now you know the reason.  We are grateful just the same. We were and ARE completely overwhelmed with the generousity of all our friends and family.  Kylie got some really great and fun things.  I have to say though, that Kevin & I are having more fun playing with some of the new toys than Kylie is at the moment.

(Gift pictures still have to be uploaded - check back)

Needless to say, Kylie's first taste of sugar was hugely successful.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it was that tasty cake-icing that kept her awake and surprisingly agreeable until well after 10pm.  We were even able to spend some QT over Skype (our ID is kka.freeman) with some family back in Massachusetts before the last of the sugar-rush wore off and she finally crashed... no doubt with dreams of giant pink frosted cupcakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment